image

Islamic State

Syria’s military says it has entered key Kurdish-held Manbij; US, Turkish troops deny claim

  • Since the US announcement that it was withdrawing troops, forces have been building up around Manbij and further east, ushering in new alliances
  • The Kurds would rather let Syria’s Russian- and Iranian-backed government fill the void left by the Americans than face being overwhelmed by Turkey
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 29 December, 2018, 6:09am
UPDATED : Saturday, 29 December, 2018, 9:12am

Syria’s military said Friday that it had entered the key Kurdish-held town of Manbij in an apparent deal with the Kurds, who are looking for new allies and protection against a threatened Turkish offensive as US troops prepare to leave Syria.

Turkey and American troops patrolling the town denied there was any change of forces in the contested area, contradicting the Syrians and highlighting the potential for chaos in the wake of last week’s surprise pronouncement by US President Donald Trump that he was withdrawing troops.

Since the US announcement, forces have been building up around Manbij and further east, ushering in new alliances and raising the chances for friction.

The Kurds’ invitation to Syrian troops shows they would rather let Syria’s Russian- and Iranian-backed government fill the void left by the Americans than face the prospect of being overwhelmed by their top rival Turkey.

Meanwhile, a flurry of meetings is expected in the coming days as all sides of the conflict scramble to find ways to replace the departing US troops.

They include one Saturday in Moscow, where Russia will host top Turkish officials in a possible sign that the two sides could be working on a deal to avert a Turkish offensive into Syria.

Russians officials have said they expect Syrian government troops to replace the US troops when they withdraw.

Turkey considers the US-backed Kurdish People’s Protection Units, which now controls nearly 30 per cent of Syria, a terrorist group linked to an insurgency within its own borders.

Kurdish-controlled Manbij has been at the centre of rising tension between the US and Turkey.

Why Trump’s exit from Syria is another lesson in trust for Asia

There were conflicting reports Friday on the location of the Syrian troops, who said they had moved into Manbij and raised the Syrian flag in the town.

The Kurdish militia said it has invited the Syrian government to take control of Manbij to protect it against “a Turkish invasion”.

But a Kurdish official said the government deployment has so far been limited to the front line with Turkey-backed fighters, based north and west of Manbij.

And US officials in Washington said Syrian regime forces and some Russian forces had moved a bit closer to the city and were largely south or southwest of the city. The officials spoke anonymously because they were not authorised to discuss the troop movements publicly.

The US-led coalition said the announcement that government troops had entered the town was “incorrect”, and called “on everyone to respect the integrity of Manbij and the safety of its citizens.”

Russia and Iran, meanwhile, welcomed the Syrian announcement.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov called it a “positive step” that could help stabilise the area. Iran hailed it as a “major step toward establishing the government’s authority” over all of Syria. Russia has signalled it expects the Syrian government to deploy where US forces leave.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the Syrian government move was “a psychological act,” and the situation in Manbij was uncertain.

He spoke as Turkey-allied forces in Syria said they were fortifying their front line positions ahead of the possible military offensive.

But Erdogan also noted that his country’s goal is to oust the Kurdish militia from along his country’s borders. “If terror organisations leave, then there is no work left for us anyway,” Erdogan told reporters.

In Washington, Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who broke with Trump on his decision to withdraw US troops from Syria, tweeted that reports about the Kurds aligning with Assad were a “major disaster in the making”.

Graham, a leading voice on foreign policy and national security issues in Congress, warned the development would be a “nightmare for Turkey and eventually Israel”. Graham tweeted that the “big winners” were Russia, Iran, Assad and Islamic State militants.

National Security Adviser John Bolton is expected in Turkey after the new year.

Friday’s announcement by the Syrian military comes as Turkey and allied Syrian fighters have been sending in reinforcement to the front lines and threatening an offensive to dislodge the Kurdish forces.

In response, the US first warned against unilateral action and increased patrols and observation points in northeastern Syria.

Then, in a surprise move, Trump announced he was withdrawing troops from eastern Syria. He later said the withdrawal would be coordinated with Turkey.

Syria says Israeli air raid hit arms depot and wounded three soldiers

The decision left the US’ Syrian Kurdish partners in a conundrum. With no backing from the US, the Kurdish forces looked to new allies to protect their Kurdish-administered areas.

Partners since 2014, the US-led forces and the Kurdish group have liberated most of east Syria from Islamic State militants.

Ilham Ahmed, a senior Kurdish official, said an agreement was being worked out between the Russians and the Syrian government.

She said the US troops have not yet withdrawn from Manbij, but said Syrian troops would take over once US withdrawal is complete.

“The aim is to ward off a Turkish offensive,” Ahmed said. “If the Turks’ excuse is the (Kurdish militia), they will leave their posts to the government.”

The Syrian government has said it welcomes the Kurdish group returning to areas under its authority. But government officials have stated they will not accept an autonomous area, a main demand for the Kurds.

The Syrian military declaration came shortly after the Kurds invited the government to seize control of Manbij to prevent a Turkish attack.

Pro-state Syrian al-Ikhbariya TV aired footage from inside Manbij of commercial streets on a rainy day, but did not show any troops. It carried images of a military convoy driving late at night, purportedly to Manbij.

A timetable for the US withdrawal has not yet been made public.