Two US service members were killed and two others wounded when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan's Kandahar province on Saturday, Nato's Resolute Support mission said in a statement. “The service members were conducting operations as part of Nato's Resolute Support Mission,” the statement added. In accordance with US Defence Department policy, the names of the deceased service members will be withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete, it said. The Taliban militant group claimed responsibility for the early morning attack. In a tweet, a spokesman of the group said that the explosion hit a vehicle of “American invaders” near Kandahar airport, claiming that the armoured vehicle was destroyed and all on board were killed. Last year, 20 US service members died in Afghanistan in combat-related incidents. There are currently around 12,000 US soldiers stationed in Afghanistan, down from a peak of roughly 100,000 in 2011. Of those, almost 8,000 are taking part in Nato's Resolute Support training and assistance mission – making up close to half its overall contingent. At least 15 killed in Pakistan suicide bombing claimed by Isis The United States and the Taliban have held talks on and off for two years in an effort to find a political solution to the 18-year war. After the US, the biggest troop providers to the Nato mission are Germany, with 1,300 troops, and Britain, with 1,100, according to figures issued by the military alliance in December.