-
Advertisement
Middle East
WorldMiddle East

Suzy survived an Israeli strike in Gaza. Dozens of other children haven’t

  • At least 63 children among 217 Palestinians killed in new Gaza conflict
  • Israel says it issues warnings ahead of attacks, tries to prevent civilian casualties

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
1
Suzy Ishkontana and her father Riad were the only survivors of their family. Photo: AP
Associated Press

Suzy Ishkontana hardly speaks or eats. It’s been two days since the 7-year-old girl was pulled from the rubble of what was once her family’s home, destroyed amid a barrage of Israeli air strikes. She spent hours buried in the wreckage as her siblings and mother died around her.

Children are being subjected to extensive trauma in Israel’s bombardment of the Gaza Strip. For some, it’s trauma they’ve seen repeatedly throughout their short lives.

05:31

US President Joe Biden calls for ‘de-escalation’ amid Gaza conflict

US President Joe Biden calls for ‘de-escalation’ amid Gaza conflict

This is the fourth time in 12 years Israel and Gaza’s Hamas rulers have gone to war. Each time, Israel has unleashed heavy air strikes at the densely populated Gaza Strip as it vows to stop Hamas rocket barrages launched toward Israel.

According to Gaza health officials, at least 63 children are among the 217 Palestinians who have been killed in Gaza since the latest conflict between Israel and Hamas began on May 10. On the Israeli side, 12 people have been killed by Hamas rockets, all but one of them civilians, including a 5-year-old boy.

Advertisement

Israel says it does everything it can to prevent civilian casualties, including issuing warnings for people to evacuate buildings about to be struck. As Hamas has fired hundreds of rockets into Israel, most of them intercepted by anti-missile defences, Israel’s military has pounded hundreds of sites in Gaza, where some 2 million people live squeezed into a tight urban fabric.

04:30

‘He’s all that’s left’: Gaza father grasps infant son after Israeli air strike wipes out family

‘He’s all that’s left’: Gaza father grasps infant son after Israeli air strike wipes out family

Videos on social media from Gaza have shown the grief of survivors from families wiped out in an instant.

Advertisement

“They were four! Where are they? Four!” wailed one father outside a hospital after learning all four of his children had been killed. Another showed a young boy screaming “Baba”, as he ran to the front of the funeral procession where men were carrying his father’s body to burial.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x