Advertisement
Middle East
WorldMiddle East

At least five killed in Yemen car bombing targeting government officials

  • Agriculture Minister Salem al-Socotri and Aden’s Governor Ahmed Lamlas, survived the bombing unhurt
  • The five fatalities included the governor’s head bodyguard. Seven others were injured in the attack and there has been no claim of responsibility

1-MIN READ1-MIN
Soldiers inspect the scene of a car-bomb attack which targeted a convoy of government officials in the city of Aden, Yemen on Sunday. Photo: EPA-EFE
dpa

At least five people were killed on Sunday in a car bombing that targeted a convoy of government officials in war-torn Yemen’s southern city of Aden, a security source said.

Agriculture Minister Salem al-Socotri and Aden's governor, Ahmed Lamlas, survived the bombing unhurt.

The five fatalities included the governor's head bodyguard, a source said on condition of anonymity.

Advertisement

Seven others were injured in the attack. So far, there has been no claim of responsibility.

Aden has become the seat of the Saudi-backed Yemeni government after Iran-linked Houthi rebels seized the capital Sana'a in 2014.

Advertisement

The city is under the control of the separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC) after its loyalists seized it from the pro-government forces.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x