-
Advertisement
Middle East
WorldMiddle East

Iran court orders US to pay US$330 million for ‘planning coup’ in 1980

  • A year after the 1979 Islamic revolution that toppled the US-backed shah, a group of mostly army officers tried to overthrow the new government
  • Last year, relatives of those killed in the coup filed a petition with Iran’s International Court demanding damages, specifically accusing the US

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
1
An Iranian woman walks past an anti-US mural outside the former US embassy in Tehran in 1999. Photo: AFP
Agence France-Presse

A court in Tehran has ordered the US government to pay US$330 million in damages for “planning a coup” against the newly established Islamic republic in 1980, the judiciary said on Saturday.

A year after the 1979 Islamic revolution that toppled the US-backed shah, a group of mostly army officers tried to overthrow the new government.

State news agency IRNA said the “insurgents” were led by Saeed Mahdiyoun, a former Iranian air force commander, and had their headquarters in Nojeh, an airbase in the Western Hamedan province.

Advertisement

Several people were killed in clashes between the coup plotters and government forces, and scores of others were arrested.

“Their objective was to seize control of military bases across the country and target strategic centres and residences of the revolution’s leaders. However, their efforts were thwarted,” IRNA said.

Advertisement

Last year, relatives of those killed in the coup filed a legal petition with Iran’s International Court demanding damages, the judiciary’s Mizan Online website said. They specifically accused the United States of “planning and executing” the coup, Mizan said.

The court ruled in their favour, ordering “the American government to pay the plaintiffs US$30 million in material and moral damages, and US$300 million in punitive damages,” it added.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x