Advertisement
Israel-Gaza war
WorldMiddle East

Israel reports first death of soldier in West Bank raid that has killed 22 Palestinians

Elkana Navon, 20, ‘fell during operational activity’, and another soldier was severely injured in the same incident

2-MIN READ2-MIN
6
Members of the Israeli military operate in what they say is the Jenin area in the Israeli-occupied West Bank in an image released on Saturday. Photo: Israeli Army via Reuters
Agence France-Presse

Israel’s army on Saturday announced the first death of a soldier during its ongoing raid in the occupied West Bank that began four days ago.

An army statement said 20-year-old Elkana Navon “fell during operational activity” on Saturday and that another soldier was “severely injured” in the same incident, without providing details.

Since Wednesday at least 22 Palestinians have been killed by the Israeli army, most of them militants, in simultaneous raids in several cities in the northern West Bank.

Advertisement

Since Friday, soldiers have concentrated their operations on the city of Jenin and its refugee camp, long a bastion of Palestinian armed groups fighting against Israel.

Violence has surged in the West Bank since Hamas’s unprecedented October 7 attack on southern Israel triggered the war in the Gaza Strip.

Military vehicles patrol as the Israeli offensive continues on Jenin refugee camp on Saturday. Photo: dpa
Military vehicles patrol as the Israeli offensive continues on Jenin refugee camp on Saturday. Photo: dpa

The United Nations said on Wednesday that at least 637 Palestinians had been killed in the territory by Israeli troops or settlers since the Gaza war began.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x