Israel and US recall teams from Gaza talks; US accuses Hamas of lacking ‘good faith’
US envoy accuses Hamas of undermining negotiations; focus shifts to ‘alternative options’ for hostage release and humanitarian relief

Israel and the United States recalled their delegations from Gaza ceasefire talks for consultations on Thursday, with US envoy Steve Witkoff accusing the Palestinian militant group Hamas of failing to act in good faith in the talks.
It marked the latest setback in efforts to secure a deal that would bring a ceasefire to Gaza, secure the release of Israeli hostages held by Hamas, and bring respite to Palestinians suffering a sharply worsening humanitarian crisis.
Witkoff said mediators had made a great effort but “Hamas does not appear to be coordinated or acting in good faith”. “We will now consider alternative options to bring the hostages home and try to create a more stable environment for the people of Gaza,” he wrote on X.
Hamas said it was surprised by Witkoff’s remarks, adding that the group’s position had been welcomed by mediators and had opened the door to reaching a comprehensive agreement.

“The movement affirms its keenness to continue negotiations and engage in them in a manner that helps overcome obstacles and leads to a permanent ceasefire agreement,” Hamas added in a statement early on Friday.