-
Advertisement
Israel-Gaza war
WorldMiddle East

Hamas is planning attack on Gaza civilians in violation of ceasefire, US warns

Trump had earlier threatened to ‘go in and kill’ the militants if the bloodshed in the Palestinian enclave continues

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
1
A Hamas militant stands guard in Khan Younis on Friday as a search is carried out for the bodies of hostages. Photo: Reuters
Associated Press

The US State Department said Saturday that it has “credible reports” that Hamas could violate the ceasefire with an attack on Palestinian civilians in Gaza.

If the attack takes place, it “would constitute a direct and grave violation” of the agreement forged by US President Donald Trump to end the two-year war between Israel and Hamas, the statement said.

No further details were disclosed about the potential attack.

Advertisement

”Should Hamas proceed with this attack, measures will be taken to protect the people of Gaza and preserve the integrity of the ceasefire,” the US State Department said.

Trump previously warned on social media that “if Hamas continues to kill people in Gaza, which was not the Deal, we will have no choice but to go in and kill them”.

Trump signs Gaza ceasefire deal in Egypt

Trump signs Gaza ceasefire deal in Egypt

The US president later clarified he would not send US troops into Gaza after launching the threat against Hamas.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x