-
Advertisement
Ukraine
WorldRussia & Central Asia

Ukraine invasion: Russia captures Chernobyl nuclear site after fierce battle

  • ‘Impossible to say’ that the power plant is safe, a Ukraine presidential adviser says, calling it ‘one of the most serious threats to Europe today’
  • Chernobyl is the site of the world’s worst nuclear disaster, during which a reactor accident in 1986 spewed radioactive waste across the continent

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
3
A rusty radioactivity warning sign is displayed in the Chernobyl exclusion zone in Ukraine in June 2019. Photo: Bloomberg
Agencies

Russian forces captured the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Ukraine announced on Thursday, after a “fierce” battle on the first day of the Kremlin’s invasion of its ex-Soviet neighbour.

“After the absolutely senseless attack of the Russians in this direction, it is impossible to say that the Chernobyl nuclear power plant is safe,” said Mykhailo Podolyak, adviser to the chief of the presidential administration.

“This is one of the most serious threats to Europe today.”

Advertisement

Podolyak said Ukrainian authorities did not know the current condition of the facilities at Chernobyl, the site of the world’s worst nuclear disaster.

03:49

Russia begins attack on Ukraine as US and Nato vow response

Russia begins attack on Ukraine as US and Nato vow response

The Chernobyl disaster in then-Soviet Ukraine sent clouds of nuclear material across much of Europe in 1986 after a botched safety test in the fourth reactor of the atomic plant.

Advertisement

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky had announced several hours earlier on Thursday that Russian forces were trying to seize the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x