-
Advertisement
Ukraine
WorldRussia & Central Asia

Ukraine war: Russia shells Mariupol plant with civilians still reported trapped

  • Attack followed a UN-brokered ceasefire around the Soviet-era steel complex that allowed several groups of civilians to escape in recent days
  • Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin told his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron that the West could use its influence to stop ‘atrocities’ in Ukraine

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
2
Smoke rises above a plant of Azovstal Iron and Steel Works during Ukraine-Russia conflict in the southern port city of Mariupol, Ukraine on Tuesday. Photo: Reuters
ReutersandAgencies

Russian troops shelled and bombed the Azovstal steel plant in Ukraine’s southern port city of Mariupol on Tuesday, confirming earlier reports of strikes on the encircled plant, where the mayor said more than 200 civilians were still trapped.

According to the RIA news agency, Russia’s defence ministry said its forces had started to destroy Ukrainian firing positions established after the defenders “took advantage” of a UN-brokered ceasefire that allowed several groups of civilians to escape the plant in the previous two days.

A Mariupol police official told the public broadcaster Suspine that Russian forces had begun trying to seize the sprawling plant, the last pocket of Mariupol still held by Ukrainian forces.

People evacuated from the Azovstal plant and adjacent houses in Mariupol arrive at a temporary accommodation centre in Donetsk on Sunday. Both the Russian and Ukrainian militaries say more than 100 people were evacuated from the besieged city of Mariupol in Ukraine but differ on the exact number and other details. Photo: Xinhua
People evacuated from the Azovstal plant and adjacent houses in Mariupol arrive at a temporary accommodation centre in Donetsk on Sunday. Both the Russian and Ukrainian militaries say more than 100 people were evacuated from the besieged city of Mariupol in Ukraine but differ on the exact number and other details. Photo: Xinhua

A deputy Commander of the Azov regiment holed up in the steel works told the Ukrainska Pravda news outlet that the storming operation had begun after Russian aircraft bombed the site overnight.

Advertisement

Mariupol is a major target for Russia as it seeks to cut Ukraine off from the Black Sea and join up Russian-controlled territory in the south and east. The steelworks lies near southern Ukraine’s main east-west highway.

Earlier on Tuesday, Mariupol Mayor Vadym Boychenko, who has left the city, said more than 200 civilians were still holed up in Azovstal after UN-brokered evacuations on Sunday and Monday.

Advertisement

In late April, President Vladimir Putin said he had called off plans for the Russian military to storm Azovstal and said he wanted the Ukrainian forces there to be hermetically sealed off instead.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x