‘Russian-made’ missile hits Polish village, killing 2 in Nato-member country
- Polish media reported that two people died after a projectile struck an area where grain was drying in Przewodów, a village near the Ukraine border
- Russia’s defence ministry on Tuesday denied reports that Russian missiles had hit Polish territory, describing the accusation as a deliberate provocation

The exact circumstances of the fatal explosion were unclear, including who fired the missile and from where. The Polish government said it was investigating and raising its level of military preparedness. Nato planned to hold an emergency meeting to discuss the events close to the Ukrainian border. Russia denied any involvement.
Zelensky’s comments, delivered in an evening address to the nation, came hours after a senior US intelligence official said that Russian missiles had crossed into Polish territory and killed two people.
A statement from the Polish Foreign Ministry identified the missile as being made in Russia. But President Andrzej Duda was more cautious about its origin, saying that officials did not know for sure who fired it or where it was made. He said it was “most probably” Russian-made but that is being still verified. “We are acting with calm,” Duda said. “This is a difficult situation.”
Russia’s defence ministry on Tuesday denied reports that Russian missiles had hit Polish territory, describing them as a deliberate provocation.
Meanwhile, Nato Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg called an emergency meeting for later in the day of the alliance’s envoys to discuss the events close to the Ukrainian border in Poland.
The UN Security Council also planned to meet Wednesday for a previously scheduled briefing on the situation in Ukraine. The strike in Poland was certain to be raised.
