UpdateUS Navy veteran was ‘hearing voices’ when he drove into Times Square crowd in New York, killing one
Terrorism is ruled out in incident involving Richard Rojas, 26, who is subdued by bystanders after speeding down a sidewalk for three blocks

A car driven by a US Navy veteran slammed into a crowd in New York’s Times Square on Thursday, killing one person, injuring 22 and causing the city to mobilise anti-terror units out of an “abundance of caution”.
Terrorism was later ruled out as a motive, the driver having told police he had been hearing voices in his head, two law enforcement officials said.
“Based on the information we have at this moment, there is no indication that this was an act of terrorism,” New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio told reporters at the scene. “This is preliminary information. There’s a lot we’re going to learn in the coming hours.”
Watch: Videos captures moment of impact of Time Square crash
The driver, 26-year-old New York resident Richard Rojas, struck 23 people as he sped along a Broadway sidewalk from 42nd street to 45th street, killing one woman, said New York Police Department Commissioner James O’Neill. Rojas was taken into custody at the scene.