US forces have captured a militant who is believed to have played a role in a 2012 attack on a US diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, that killed US Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans, three US officials said on Monday.
The officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that US Special Operation Forces captured the militant in Libya in the past few days.
Two of the officials identified him as Mustafa al Imam and said he had played a role in the attack and the ambassador’s death.
The officials said the man was now in the custody of the Department of Justice and being transported back to the United States by the military.
They added that the operation was authorised by President Donald Trump and had been carried out in coordination with the UN-backed Government of National Accord.