No deal yet for man charged with theft of Frances McDormand’s Oscar at afterparty
The man charged with stealing Frances McDormand’s Oscar statuette at an Academy Awards after-party appeared in court on Wednesday but the quick resolution to the case that was expected did not happen.
Photos and video circulated online after the awards, apparently showing Bryant running away with the gold statuette while clad in a sharp black tuxedo.
But on Wednesday Terry Bryant wore a grey pinstriped suit for his very brief hearing in Los Angeles Superior Court - which was, at least, a step up from the blue jail jumpsuit of his previous court appearance.
Bryant, who smiled politely throughout the hearing, had been found eligible for so-called early disposition – a relaxing of legal formalities intended to bring a quick resolution to some cases.
But he remains charged with felony grand theft and faces up to three years in prison.
Bryant’s lawyer, Daniel Brookman, said his not-guilty plea stands. He insists this is “not a prison case” and expects a deal by the next hearing on May 1.
New York Times writer Cara Buckley, who was at the event and live-tweeted the drama, tweeted a photo of Bryant at the time, with the message: “Security at the Governors Ball are looking for this guy, who grabbed Frances McDormand’s Oscar and ran out with it.”
She said a photographer working for celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck – who was providing the catering – stopped the man and seized the Oscar before the thief disappeared back into the ball.
The actress “had set it down and was chatting” when it disappeared, according to Buckley, who added that the actress had said to “let him go.”