YouTube to increase security at its offices worldwide after shooting
YouTube employees have been encouraged to take time off work or work from home
By Arjun Kharpal
Google said that it would boost security in YouTube offices globally following the shooting at the video platform’s headquarters earlier this week.
On Tuesday, Iranian-born San Diego woman Nasim Najafi Aghdam shot at least three people before dying from a self-inflicted gun shot wound.
Google, which owns YouTube, put out a statement on Twitter on Thursday in which it called the shooting “shocking and disturbing” and praised the “heroic acts” of employees and the San Bruno community, where the attack took place.
The company said that the shooter entered the headquarters through the building’s parking garage to the outside courtyard where she opened fire.
Google said that YouTube employees have been encouraged to take time off of work or work from home and the company is making wellness services available.
YouTube will be increasing the security at its offices globally.
An update from YouTube. pic.twitter.com/HG4LgCupRi
— Google Communications (@Google_Comms) April 4, 2018
Before the attack, Aghdam, 39, had posted messages online claiming that her videos on YouTube were being censored.
The shooting prompted messages of support from technology chief executives including Apple’s Tim Cook and Microsoft’s Satya Nadella. Some CEOs, including Twitter’s Jack Dorsey, went further and called for stricter gun control.