image image

United States

US Vice-President Mike Pence says Pentagon plans Space Force as new separate armed service

The force would defend satellites from attack and perform other space-related tasks; China and Russia are the US’ primary rivals in space

PUBLISHED : Friday, 10 August, 2018, 3:31am
UPDATED : Friday, 10 August, 2018, 3:31am

US Vice-President Mike Pence announced on Thursday that the Pentagon has begun planning to create a Space Force, embarking on an effort to create the first new armed service since 1947.

In June, US President Donald Trump called for the establishment of a sixth armed service, the Space Force, to join the Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard.

Thursday’s proposal, which requires authorisation and funding from Congress, would develop forces to defend satellites from attack and other space-related tasks.

China and Russia are the nation’s primary rivals in space.

“The time has come to establish the United States Space Force,” Pence said.

The force would be created by 2020, Pence said. Before that, the Pentagon will create the US Space Command, which will be led by a four-star officer and draw forces from the other armed services.

When the proposal for a separate force was launched last year, Defence Secretary Jim Mattis resisted it. He wrote to Congress that it would “likely present a narrower and even parochial approach to space operations.”

But Mattis signalled earlier this week that establishing a combatant command was a possibility.

“We need to address space as a developing war fighting domain and a combatant command is certainly one thing that we can – we can establish,” Mattis told reporters. “This is a process we’re in. We are in complete alignment with the president’s concern about protecting our assets in space that contribute to our security, to our economy. And we’re going to have to address it as other countries show a capability to attack those assets.”

Trump’s ‘Space Force’ up in the air due to Pentagon resistance

The Pentagon’s proposal, released Thursday, identifies China and Russia as “strategic competitors” that are “explicitly pursuing space war fighting capabilities to neutralise US space capabilities in a time of conflict”.

For example, Russia and China are pursuing anti-satellite weapons, including lasers, to “reduce US military effectiveness”.

Pence said the White House has already been working with Congress to develop the plan. Next year’s budget will seek funding and authorisation for the venture.

“We’re building bipartisan support for our plan,” Pence said.

The Air Force, the newest of the armed services dating to 1947, has the largest stake in space. It already contains a Space Command, which it established in 1982. The new force would likely carve out a chunk of the Air Force, creating two smaller, weaker services, according to military analysts.

“This is a half-baked idea,” said Loren Thompson, a defence industry consultant and military analyst at the Lexington Institute. “It will disrupt existing military relationships and add nothing of value. Nobody in the Pentagon believes creating a Space Force makes sense. If that same view prevails in Congress, then it isn’t going to happen.”

A better idea would be elevating an organisation within the Air Force to deal with space, Thompson said.

“Creating a separate service will just add to dysfunction at the Defence Department,” he said.

Pence identified interim steps to creation of the Space Force in two years. They include the new command and creating a civilian position as an assistant secretary of defence for Space to oversee the transition.

“The space force is the next and natural evolution of American military strength,” Pence said.