Advertisement
US-China trade war
WorldUnited States & Canada

Trump says he ‘cancelled’ US-China trade talks, blames Beijing over coronavirus

  • President says ‘I don’t want to talk to China right now’
  • Review of phase one deal at six-month mark now postponed indefinitely

1-MIN READ1-MIN
US President Donald Trump gives a campaign speech at Mankato Regional Airport in Minnesota on Monday. Photo: Reuters,
Bloomberg

US President Donald Trump said he called off last weekend’s trade talks with China and that Beijing’s handling of the coronavirus is “unthinkable”.

“I cancelled talks with China,” Trump said Tuesday in Yuma, Arizona. “I don’t want to talk to China right now.”

01:22
US-China trade talks postponed as Trump says he does not want to talk to China

Trump has been stepping up complaints about China, particularly over the spread of the coronavirus, which he regularly calls the “China virus”.

Advertisement

“What China did to the world was unthinkable,” Trump said.

The trade talks had been aimed at reviewing progress at the six-month mark of the so-called phase one trade agreement between the two countries. Chinese Vice-Premier Liu He was supposed to hold a video conference call with US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin but it was postponed indefinitely.

02:36
Trump calls Covid-19 'kung flu' again at another rally

The talks never made it on to any official public calendar in Washington or Beijing, but Reuters reported that they were set for Saturday. Earlier, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said that information on high-level talks would be released “in due course”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x