Advertisement
China grants detained Canadian national Michael Kovrig online consular access
- The former diplomat has been held in China for more than two years in a case related to an executive of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei
- Chinese prosecutors announced last year that Kovrig had been charged on suspicion of spying for state secrets and intelligence
Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
10

Canada said its officials have spoken online with former diplomat Michael Kovrig, who has been held in China for more than two years in a case related to an executive of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei.
Canada’s Foreign Ministry said officials led by Ambassador Dominic Barton were given “on-site virtual consular access” to Kovrig on Thursday. The ministry said it was unable to release further details.
Kovrig and businessman Michael Spavor have been confined since December 10, 2018, just days after Canada detained Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, who is also the daughter of the founder of the Chinese telecommunications equipment giant.
Advertisement
“The Canadian government remains deeply concerned by the arbitrary detention by Chinese authorities of Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor since December 2018 and continues to call for their immediate release,” the ministry said.
Advertisement
China says the pair are being held on suspicion of endangering national security, but has also drawn clear links between their detention and the case against Meng, who is fighting deportation to the United States, where she faces fraud charges.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x
