Advertisement
Canada
WorldUnited States & Canada

Canada says it thwarted China’s recent air and maritime surveillance attempts

  • The defence ministry remarks follow a media report that the Canadian Armed Forces had spotted Chinese monitoring buoys in the Arctic last year
  • Tensions between Beijing and the West have increased since the discovery of a suspected Chinese spy balloon that flew over the US and Canada

1-MIN READ1-MIN
11
Two white balloons float near the Chinese flag as part of an activist’s protest outside the Chinese embassy in Washington on February 15. Photo: AFP
Reuters

Canada is aware of recent air and maritime surveillance attempts by China and has thwarted such efforts since last year, the Canadian defence ministry said on Wednesday, after a newspaper reported Chinese floating devices were found in the Arctic in autumn.

The discovery of a suspected Chinese spy balloon, which flew over the United States and Canada before being shot down earlier this month, has hit already strained relations between Beijing and the West, and has intensified discourse about North American security.

The Globe and Mail newspaper reported on Tuesday the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) spotted Chinese monitoring buoys in the Arctic last year as part of an effort to provide early detection of threats to Canada’s security.

02:37
Beijing insists ‘balloon does not belong to America’ as US recovers wreckage from sea

A spokesperson for Canada’s defence ministry declined to provide details but said authorities were aware of Chinese surveillance attempts using dual purpose technologies, which can have both commercial and military applications.

Advertisement

“The CAF are fully aware of recent efforts by China to conduct surveillance operations in Canadian airspace and maritime approaches,” the spokesperson said, adding that the forces had stopped attempts to surveil Canadian territory since 2022.

The Chinese embassy in Ottawa did not immediately respond to an emailed request for comment.

Advertisement

Over the weekend, China’s top diplomat Wang Yi said the US handling of the balloon incident had been “unimaginable” and “hysterical”, an “absurd” act that had violated international norms.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x