-
Advertisement
Gun violence in the US
WorldUnited States & Canada

Rust shooting: manslaughter charges against Alec Baldwin to be dropped

  • The gun the actor was holding had discharged on the movie set, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins
  • The charges are to be dropped without prejudice, meaning the case’s new special prosecutors could file fresh ones down the line

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Alec Baldwin poses for photos at the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards in Los Angeles in September 2017. Photo: AP
Agence France-Presse

Manslaughter charges against Alec Baldwin over a fatal shooting on a movie set are to be dropped, the prosecutor said on Thursday, citing “new facts” that merit further investigation.

Baldwin was charged in January over the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins during the filming of the Western Rust in New Mexico in 2021, and pleaded not guilty.

He was holding a Colt .45 handgun during rehearsals when it discharged, killing Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza, but has always insisted he was told the gun was safe and that he did not pull the trigger.

Advertisement

Just weeks ahead of a planned two-week hearing, special prosecutors appointed last month said they were yanking the charges, but warned Baldwin was not out of the woods.

“Over the last few days and in preparation for the May 3, 2023, preliminary hearing, new facts were revealed that demand further investigation and forensic analysis,” said a statement by New Mexico attorneys Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis.

Advertisement

“We therefore will be dismissing the involuntary manslaughter charges against Mr Baldwin to conduct further investigation.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x