-
Advertisement
United States
WorldUnited States & Canada

Maine shooting suspect Robert Card found dead of self-inflicted gunshot

  • The body of Card, an army reservist, was discovered in the woods near the town of Lisbon Falls
  • The man had been sought since Wednesday’s shooting at a bowling alley and a bar in Lewiston that left 18 people dead

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
2
A man suspected in the Maine mass shooting. Photo: Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office/AFP
Reuters
The man suspected of killing 18 people and wounding 13 in a shooting rampage in Lewiston, Maine, was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Friday, ending a 48-hour manhunt that followed the most lethal episode of gun violence in the state’s history.

The body of Robert R. Card, 40, was discovered in the woods near the neighbouring town of Lisbon Falls, near where police found his abandoned vehicle shortly after the shooting spree on Wednesday night.

“He is dead,” Maine Governor Janet Mills told a news conference, thanking the hundreds of officers from various agencies involved in the search.

Advertisement

“Like many people, I am breathing a sign of relief tonight, knowing that Robert Card is no longer a threat to anyone … Now is the time to heal,” Mills said.

Card died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound, said Mike Sauschuck, Maine’s Department of Public Safety commissioner.

Advertisement

Officials said the US army reservist opened fire in a bowling alley and then a bar minutes later on Wednesday night.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x