Moon landing attempt by US company appears doomed after ‘critical’ fuel leak
- Astrobotic’s lander suffered ‘critical loss of fuel’ just hours after Monday’s launch from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida
- The moon landing had been planned for February 23. The company said it was assessing alternative mission profiles

The first US moon landing attempt in more than 50 years appeared to be doomed after a private company’s spacecraft developed a “critical” fuel leak just hours after Monday’s launch.
Pittsburgh-based Astrobotic Technology managed to orient its lander towards the sun so the solar panel could collect sunlight and charge its battery, as a special team assessed the status of what was termed “a failure in the propulsion system”.
It soon became apparent, however, that there was “a critical loss of fuel”, further dimming hope for what had been a planned moon landing on February 23.
“We are currently assessing what alternative mission profiles may be feasible at this time,” the company said in a statement.

The problem was reported about seven hours after Monday’s predawn lift-off from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida. United Launch Alliance’s Vulcan rocket provided the lift for Astrobotic’s lander, named Peregrine, putting it on a long, roundabout path to the moon.