Watch: ‘Get us out of here!’ Emotional journalist describes being ‘shot at’ while travelling on Olympic media bus
American Lee Michaelson says she doesn’t believe the IOC’s and Rio organisers’ official findings that the vehicle was hit by a rock
Lee Michaelson, from Florida, says she was on the official Olympic media bus that was attacked on August 9 at about 7.30pm and has several issues with the organisers’ official version of the events. Here is what she had to say.
Watch Lee Michaelson describe what happened on the Rio Olympic media bus
- Organisers say the bus was hit by rocks. Michaelson says she ‘heard shots’ and believe they were bullets.
- Organisers say the driver followed protocol by not stopping. Michaelson says the bus pulled over to the kerb and someone in the bus shouted “Get us out of here!”
- Organisers say medical attention was provided. Michaelson said she ‘treated’ one injured passenger with water from her water bottle.
- Organisers apologised if they fell short in providing medical aid and other procedures, saying their priority during forensics was to determine what caused the damage.
- Organisers ‘guaranteed the safety of journalists, athletes, guests and visitors’ at the Olympics.
WATCH: relive the action involving Hong Kong athletes on Day 4 and Day 5 at the Rio Olympics