image

Floyd Mayweather Jnr v Conor McGregor superfight

Will Donald Trump attend Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor fight? US President given invite

US president is close friends with event co-promoter and UFC chief Dana White

PUBLISHED : Friday, 11 August, 2017, 1:43pm
UPDATED : Friday, 11 August, 2017, 1:51pm

President Trump has been invited to attend the boxing clash between Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Conor McGregor on August 26, said Mayweather’s business adviser Leonard Ellerbe.

“I haven’t personally invited the president, but I am told an invitation is out there,” Ellerbe said in a media session at Mayweather’s workout day. “Whether he comes or not we are going to have a great event.”

Before his political aspirations gathered full steam, Trump and his wife Melania were present at Mayweather’s points victory over Manny Pacquiao in April 2015.

Trump is close friends with event co-promoter and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White, having hosted UFC events at his Atlantic City property in the organisation’s early days.

White spoke out strongly in favour of Trump during the presidential campaign, even taking the stage at the Republican National Convention last year.

Floyd Mayweather, with a straight face, says Conor McGregor has the edge: ‘I’ve lost a step’

“Every A-lister wants to be involved in this fight,” Ellerbe said. “There is tremendous interest from all kind of people.”

Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant are among those expected to be there.

Meanwhile, Mayweather believes he will have failed if he is unable to knock out McGregor at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

“I would say so,” Mayweather said at his official media workout on Thursday. “If the fight goes the distance it is a win for him. But I don’t think that is going to happen.

Jose Aldo thinks Conor McGregor will take the Mayweather money and run from fighting

“He is going around saying that it will be over in four rounds and he might be right. But it will be because I say so, and not him.”

The possibility of a knockout may have been increased by a preliminary agreement that 8-ounce gloves will be used for the contest.

Typically, fights taking place at 154 pounds and above use 10-ounce hand gear, but both fighters have agreed to an exception, which is expected to be rubber-stamped by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

“The people should expect entertainment and that is what I am going to give them,” added Mayweather.

“They have to understand that this is a show. One of the biggest shows in history. No one is going to be disappointed.”

Mayweather business adviser Leonard Ellerbe claimed that he has never seen the fighter so motivated to secure a knockout at any point of his career.

No concerns despite lots of tickets remaining for Mayweather-McGregor superfight ... at a price

Of Mayweather’s recent opponents, Victor Ortiz was knocked out with a controversial cheap shot in 2011 and Ricky Hatton was stopped in 2007. All of his other victims have succumbed on points.

“I can’t see any way this goes 12 rounds,” Ellerbe said. “I just don’t see it. Either McGregor is going to hit Floyd with a shot and knock him out or Floyd is going to do the same to him.”

Mayweather insisted his trademark defensive style will be out of the window once the bell rings. “I will be coming forward,” he said. “I am coming to get him.”