-
Advertisement
Ultimate Fighting Championship
SportChina

UFC announces ‘Dongbei Tiger’ Wang Guan as latest Asian fighter to join its growing ranks

After teasing fans last week, the Chinese star is revealed as US-based body’s latest star attraction

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Dongbei-based Wang Guan will join UFC. Photo: Twitter
Mathew Scott

The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) let the cat out of the bag on Tuesday morning. And he’s a pretty impressive cat at that.

After teasing fans in Asia last week that the signing of a new Chinese star was imminent, the world’s major mixed martial arts organisation revealed featherweight “The Dongbei Tiger” Wang Guan was the man in question.

The 31-year-old will bring an overall MMA record of 15-1-1 to the party – and plenty of confidence to the Octagon - and said he hoped to make his debut when the UFC returns to Singapore on June 17.

Advertisement
“I will continue to keep a clean record in the UFC, showing the world my ‘China Power’,” Wang said in statement. “It’s a dream come true, my ability is approved by the UFC now. This also means the opponents I face next will be the best in the world. This will push me to train even harder”.
Li Jingliang of China celebrates his knockout victory over Bobby Nash in their welterweight bout during UFC Fight Night. Photo: Getty
Li Jingliang of China celebrates his knockout victory over Bobby Nash in their welterweight bout during UFC Fight Night. Photo: Getty

Wang weighs in at 146 pounds, stands at 1.80 metres tall and fights out of the Xian Sports University. Most of his battles have come with the Shanghai-based Ranik Ultimate Fighting Federation (RUFF) where he was a former featherweight champion.

Advertisement
The UFC had hyped up the announcement at a press event last week in Singapore where the organisation had announced it was returning to the Lion City – a card that will mark the UFC’s return to Asia after a 15-month break. Hope will be now be high among fans across the region that the Singapore card will come with plenty of locals to cheer on, something the UFC’s senior vice-president, head of international and content, Joe Carr had first alluded to last week.
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x