London’s Metropolitan Police have arrested eight men for the online racial abuse of an unnamed Tottenham Hotspur player relating to the game against Manchester United on April 11th, they confirmed on Friday. “A Met investigation into a torrent of online racist abuse directed at a high profile London footballer, has resulted in twelve men being arrested or interviewed under caution,” the police said in a statement, saying four other individuals were cautioned but not arrested. “The twelve men have each been arrested, or interviewed under caution, under suspicion of using words or behaviour, or displaying written material with intent to stir up racial hatred. “Police activity occurred at a variety of locations across England and Wales,” they added. The youngest offender was 20 with the oldest aged 63. Police also said that “officers continue to identify further possible offences linked to this match”. We welcome the action taken here. There is no place for racism anywhere in our game and society. https://t.co/Fz6fOiIGBj — Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) May 21, 2021 Several reports in the UK media have since named the player as South Korea international Son Heung-min . Son was racially abused during and after the game on social media after his involvement in an incident that saw the visitors have a goal chalked off by VAR before opening the scoring himself. Spurs stand by Son after racial abuse online as bosses clash Spurs highlighted the abuse on their own social media channels at the time calling it “abhorrent”. “Another match day and more abhorrent racial abuse suffered by one of our players,” Spurs wrote on Twitter on April 12. “This has again been reported to the platforms and we shall now undertake a full review alongside the Premier League to determine the most effective action moving forward. We stand with you, Sonny.” Another matchday and more abhorrent racial abuse suffered by one of our players. This has again been reported to the platforms and we shall now undertake a full review alongside the Premier League to determine the most effective action moving forward. We stand with you, Sonny. pic.twitter.com/fNBpSykJJo — Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 11, 2021 Spurs were among the English Premier League clubs to observe a social media blackout to highlight online abuse directed towards players. The London club welcomed the Met’s statement in a Twitter post. “We welcome the action taken here. There is no place for racism anywhere in our game and society,” they said. Man United ban six fans over Son abuse as EPL clubs begin boycott Last month Manchester United banned several supporters for abusing Son, with the announcement that six fans were no longer welcome at Old Trafford coming just before English football’s 81-hour blackout began on April 30. “Regretfully, suspensions have been issued, subject to appeal, to three season ticket holders, two official members and one individual on the season ticket waiting list,” the club said. We now join teams across England in boycotting social media this weekend, in response to the ongoing discriminatory abuse received by players and others connected to football. Social media companies must do more to eradicate online hate. Enough is enough. #StopOnlineAbuse pic.twitter.com/rhpoAG1amZ — Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) April 30, 2021 “This action makes it abundantly clear that police will not stand for racist thuggery, even if it is committed online,” Detective Sergeant Matt Simpson from the Met’s public order crime team said in a statement. “The posts, all of which were on Twitter, were vulgar and were utterly unacceptable. There is no safe haven for this type of abusive behaviour and we are committed to taking decisive action to root it out. “With a busy summer of football approaching we are committed to driving out this type of racist behaviour – it has no place in football. I am delighted with the support we have received from our policing colleagues nationally and from Manchester United and Tottenham. Without them, it would be difficult to identify these users and take action.” Will Son Heung-min go to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics? The action taken was also welcomed by Tony Burnett, the CEO of football anti-racism charity Kick It Out. “We are pleased to see these arrests being made, it sends a powerful message that online abuse is unacceptable and those found guilty will face real-life consequences,” he said via the Met’s statement.