-
Advertisement
Formula One (F1)
SportFormula One (F1)

Zhou Guanyu says halo saved his life after horror Formula 1 crash halts British Grand Prix

  • British Grand Prix red-flagged after a multi-car smash at Silverstone on Sunday night, with Zhou’s car sent flying upside down
  • Alfa Romeo team principal Frédéric Vasseur confirms Chinese rookie is fine, and will be fit to race in Austria next week

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
3
Zhou Guanyu’s Alfa Romeo car is flung upside down at the start of the British Grand Prix. Photo: Reuters
Matt Eaton

Zhou Guanyu said he was fit and raring to go for the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend after escaping largely unscathed from a horrific multi-car crash that brought the British Grand Prix to a halt within seconds of the start.

The Alfa Romeo driver hailed the halo safety device that is mandatory on all Formula One cars for saving his life, after what Mercedes driver George Russell called “one of the scariest crashes I’ve ever seen”.

Approaching the first corner at more than 200km/h (124mph), Zhou was sent flying upside down across the Silverstone track on Sunday, before crossing a gravel trap and flipping over a tyre barrier, eventually coming to rest semi-upright against catch fencing in front of shocked fans.

Russell, who sprinted from his car to check on Zhou, had appeared to be hit from behind in the incident, pushing him into the Alfa Romeo and causing a pile-up that also involved Williams’ Alex Albon, Alpine’s Esteban Ocon and Yuki Tsunoda of Alpha Tauri.

Advertisement

“The Halo saved me today, and it goes to show that every step we take in improving our cars has real, valuable results,” Zhou said. “I’m keener than ever to get back on track and do what I love: I’m fit and I’m looking forward to Austria next week.”

The titanium halo was introduced by Formula One in 2018, initially to some resistance from drivers who disliked the look of the protective ring around what had previously been a completely open cockpit.

Advertisement

Zhou thanked the “fantastic” marshals and medical team for their quick response.

“I also owe my thanks to the FIA and Formula One for all the work they have done, and they keep doing, to improve the safety of our cars,” he said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x