Soccer chiefs are pushing the government to stage the highly anticipated World Cup qualifier against China at Hong Kong Stadium, saying the interests of the team and fans should come first. The venue for the crucial clash on November 17 has yet to be announced as high-level discussions take place within the government because of security concerns. The HKFA is also waiting on a Fifa investigation into another case of disrespecting the national anthem at Tuesday's game against Qatar, but is hopeful only minor disciplinary action, if any, will be meted out, rather than a draconian punishment where Hong Kong home games may be played behind closed doors. No one will doubt there is huge support for the Hong Kong team ... if we can't take the opportunity, it will be a big waste Pui Kwan-kay The 40,000-seat venue in So Kon Po, which has acted as the national stadium for Hong Kong, is the ideal location and the HKFA has made a submission to Fifa. But it is understood the government is concerned after a series of incidents at Hong Kong's three home matches, especially with the deepening conflict between Hong Kong fans and their mainland counterparts after an inflammatory Chinese Football Association poster highlighting the Hong Kong team's "skin colour" and the subsequent jeering of the China national anthem at all three matches. "No one will doubt there is huge support for the Hong Kong team at the moment and if we can't take the opportunity, it will be a big waste," said HKFA vice-chairman Pui Kwan-kay. "I have received many calls for tickets and if they decide to put the match on at a smaller venue, how can we satisfy the needs of the fans? We understand there may be a small group of people who may attend the match against China for their own reasons other than sport, but most of the fans want to come and support the Hong Kong team and their presence is important. READ MORE: Fifa launches investigation after Hong Kong fans boo China national anthem again "Remember what happened in the last 10 minutes of the match against Qatar. "We cannot deprive the opportunity of the majority just because a small number of people may have other interests in attending the match. "It will be a very bad decision if they do not allow us to host the match at Hong Kong Stadium." The Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground in Island East has been suggested as an option, but the venue has a capacity of 12,000. The previous World Cup qualifying home matches were held at the 6,600-seat Mong Kok Stadium and all recorded a full house. The Hong Kong Stadium has been closed since March for a HK$100 million turf renovation. It will reopen next month when Pegasus, who will use the venue as their home ground in the Hong Kong Premier League, host Yuen Long on October 17. The Asian rugby sevens qualifying tournament for the 2016 Olympics will take place at the stadium on November 7-8, with 12 men's and 12 women's teams competing for the berth. Pui dismissed suggestions the pitch would not recover in time for the World Cup qualifier. "They are spending a huge amount of money on improving the turf and if it can't be held for a soccer match 10 days after the rugby qualifiers, how can they host a tournament like the EPL Asia Trophy which features four teams in a four-day period?" said Pui. "I am not a rugby expert, but I don't think a two-day sevens event can cause such damage to the ground that they have to close it for more than a week to repair." HKFA chairman Brian Leung Hung-tak urged the government to make a decision as soon as possible, so they can work on match logistics. POLL: Do you agree with the HKFA's proposal? "Our first choice is Hong Kong Stadium," said Leung. "If the government is worried the crowd will be too big and too difficult to control, they don't have to open all the seats." Leung said the Baoan Stadium in Shenzhen, which hosted the 0-0 draw in the away match last week, also has 40,000 seats, but organisers only sold 27,000 tickets and everything went smoothly. "We hope a decision can be made before the end of the month," said Leung.