Scott Barr will return to defend his Hong Kong PGA crown in 2017
Australian, who won for the first time in January after finishing runner-up three times previously, will be out to retain his title in the championship dominated by compatriot Unho Park in recent years
Scott Barr has confirmed he will defend his title at the 34th edition of the FTLife Hong Kong PGA Championship, which will be played from January 4-6, 2017, tournament organisers confirmed.
The 46-year-old Australian, an Asian Tour regular who memorably captured his first HKPGA Championship title with a stirring performance to deny compatriot Unho Park an unprecedented fifth straight victory earlier this January, said he was excited to be returning to Hong Kong to face the challenge that lies ahead.
“To win the event after finishing runner-up three times in a row to Unho [Park] was a hugely satisfying moment for me,” said Singapore-based Barr, who has enjoyed a solid season to date on the Asian Tour.
“We had a great battle down the stretch and it was a huge relief that I was able to cling on there at the end. It’s a fabulous tournament, one that I had targeted for a long time, so to pull off the victory was very special. I can’t wait to get back and defend my title.”
Barr will come up against strong opposition in the HK$500,000 event, with a full field of HKPGA pros eager to wrest the trophy away from his hands. Tournament organisers said they will be announcing more players in the weeks ahead.
Barr received an exemption to play in the 2016 Clearwater Bay Open, PGA Tour China Series event on November 3-6. The winner of the Clearwater Bay Open will receive an exemption to play in the 2017 FTLife HKPGA Championship.
The 54-hole championship will be played in its traditional three-course format, with the New Course at the Hong Kong Golf Club hosting the first round before the players move to the Eden course on day two.
The picturesque Clearwater Bay Golf and Country Club will host the final round for the second time in the last three years.