Hong Kong superstar Rex Tso out of action for six months as he recovers from left eye injury
The Wonder Kid will stop training and will not engage in any commercial work with immediate effect on the advice of doctors after getting hurt against Japan’s Kono
Hong Kong superstar Rex Tso Sing-yu’s bid for a world title shot will be delayed by at least six months as he rests an injured left eye sustained against Japan’s Kohei Kono earlier this month.
In a surprise announcement posted on his Facebook and Instagram accounts, Tso said his left eye was still in the healing process and he has been advised by doctors to take a “long break” to ensure that he fully recovers from the injury.
The 30-year-old unbeaten southpaw suffered an accidental headbutt in the second round of his scheduled 12-round super flyweight bout against “Tough Boy” Kono in Clash of Champions 3 at the Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Watch: How and why Rex Tso beat Kohei Kono
The fight was stopped at the start of the seventh round after a ringside doctor examined Tso’s almost completely shut eye and declared the fight over. Tso won the fight on a technical decision, winning his 22nd bout after all three judges gave the fight to Tso, four rounds to two.
The Wonder Kid’s latest victory improved his record to 22-0-0, 13 KOs, while 36-year-old Kono (33-11-1, 14 KOs) slipped to his third loss in his past four fights.
But victory came at a huge cost with Tso now saying that he will stop “all activities” for the next six months, meaning there will be no training, promotion or photo shoots.
“I’ve decided to stop all my jobs [activities] to make sure my eyes fully recover,” said Tso on his Facebook page. “It might take half a year but my enthusiasm for boxing will never fade.”
Tso suffered a horrific injury during a clash of heads against Kono. The bruising swelled on and over his left eye and deteriorated during the fight.
Tso had said after the fight that he would require only two weeks rest and was happy to report that he had not suffered any concussion or broken bones.
But the situation has now changed with doctors advising him to stop all forms of physical activity (boxing) over the next six months to save his eye from further damage.
Tso revealed that doctors had advised him to stop training after he suffered a right eye injury during his eighth-round TKO victory against Japan’s Hirofumi Mukai in March.
Hong Kong’s first professional boxer said that he had not “fully recovered” from his right eye injury when he fought Kono on October 7.
“Doctors had advised me not to train for that fight but I had to. I needed to train for my fight against Kono. Although I had fully recovered from other injuries, my right eye was not 100 per cent.
“So this time, I have decided to take a long break. I also been warned by doctors that I might need to wear sunglasses at night time. I hope you’re not scared by this and understand my situation,” he wrote, suggesting that his eye was sensitive to artificial indoor bright lights.
“The long break will definitely help my situation. Until my left eye is back to normal and I have good eyesight, I will then consider boxing again. But at the moment, I just can’t.”
Tso had been hoping to line up a world title fight in March 2018 but those plans have apparently gone out the window. A world title bout against WBO super flyweight champion“Monster” Naoya Inoue, of Japan, had been mooted but that is unlikely to happen any time soon.
Tso has been nursing all kinds of injuries throughout his six-year professional career but his latest injury seems to be the most serious since he turned pro in 2011. He has sustained a badly bruised ribs, heavily bruised knuckles, injuries to the bridge of his nose and an injured left wrist either during competition or while training.