Asian Games

Dickson Yu regains consciousness: defibrillator probably saved life of TV star and former Hong Kong swimmer

The 28-year-old was treated with an automated external defibrillator (AED) when he collapsed while playing football – family relieved he is awake as his condition improves

PUBLISHED : Friday, 10 August, 2018, 8:59pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 11 August, 2018, 3:31am

A defibrillator, one of 263 being used in land-based venues around Hong Kong, probably saved the life of former Hong Kong swimmer and aspiring actor Dickson Yu Tak-shing, who regained consciousness on Friday night.

The Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) confirmed that a defibrillator had been used on Yu when the aspiring TV actor collapsed and fell into unconsciousness while playing football at Sai Ying Pun on Wednesday night.

According to a statement released by the LCSD, first aid was administered to the 28-year-old former member of the Hong Kong swimming squad and that a defibrillator had been called into action. A defibrillator is a device that gives a high energy electric shock to the heart through the chest wall to someone who is in cardiac arrest.

It is suspected that Yu, who has appeared in several TV dramas, including last year’s break out role as “Ocean” in My Ages Apart, was suffering from a heart condition when he slipped into a coma on Wednesday night.

Former Hong Kong swimmer and actor Dickson Yu fighting for his life after a kickabout with friends

Yu’s condition improved from critical on Wednesday night to stable on Friday. His mother said in a statement that Yu had regained consciousness and that the “worst was over” for him. Friends and relatives had been praying for him to pull through at Queen Mary Hospital.

According to the LCSD, defibrillators or AEDs (automated external defibrillators) are available at 371 venues including aquatic, beaches and recreational venues. Since 2011, these lifesavers have been installed at all aquatic venues in Hong Kong. Service was then expanded to other land-based facilities in 2013. There are 10 AEDs available at the Hong Kong Stadium, according to inquiries made by the South China Morning Post.

“It is to our understanding that the unconscious man was given first aid by a friend using an ADE device provided at the ground. He was then sent to hospital,” said the statement.

The man who administered first aid and used the defibrillator on Yu was a football teammate, who works as a nurse and had first aid knowledge.

Yu’s progress delighted his mother who said in a statement on Friday night that it would be some time before his friends would be able to visit him.

“We have been touched by all the support he has received from doctors and the media during these past few days. Everybody has gone through a tiring time. We have received good news from his doctors that the worst appears to be over. We need to follow the doctor’s advice and prevent Dickson from coming into contact with anybody who might be sick in the ICU as this would make his condition worse. After Dickson recovers, he will meet you all,” she said in the statement.