Asian Games: formidable China dump Hong Kong men out in one-sided badminton quarter-finals
Hong Kong fail to win a single game in two singles and one doubles match
Hong Kong’s men’s badminton team are out of the 2018 Asian Games after being thrashed 0-3 by top seeds China in the quarter-finals on Monday.
After receiving a walkover in their last-16 tie on the first day of the event, Hong Kong failed to win a single game in two singles and one doubles match as world number one Shi Yuqi, Olympic champion Chen Long and the pairing of Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen gave a flawless performance.
Hong Kong number one Angus Ng Ka-long was the first to fall going down with a whimper against Shi 21-15, 21-11.
Next up was the pairing of Tang Chun-man and Yeung Ming-nok who were no match for Li and Liu and quickly succumbed 21-13, 21-13.
Finally, Chen needed just over 30 minutes to finish off Hong Kong’s challenge, defeating Vincent Wong Wing-ki 21-13, 21-14.
Much had been made in the build-up to the Games of the hostile environment at the Istora venue in Jakarta, but following his match, Wong was quick to play down any distraction.
“It would have been better if we had played on the opening day,” Wong said, “so that we could adjust better to the venue conditions. I struggled a bit in the opening stages due to the space and the air currents, but once I got used to it, it didn’t create any big problems.
All four quarter-finals were played simultaneously at the venue and Wong acknowledged that a boisterous home crowd was a slight distraction.
“The match played on the next court between Indonesia and India did not affect me too much as I was fully focused on my own games, Wong said. ”But of course it did create some minor interference due to the overwhelming response of the fans whenever Indonesia got a point.”
The women’s team befell a similar fate as they went down to hosts Indonesia 3-0 in their round of 16 match on Monday in another one-sided drubbing setting in motion a bleak start for Hong Kong badminton at the Games.