Coronavirus: 2021 Hong Kong Marathon postponed – organisers looking at an April date
- The annual showpiece was set for January 24 but has been postponed because safety cannot be guaranteed
- Organisers say they are monitoring the pandemic situation closely and working with relevant authorities to fix another date

Next year’s Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon, scheduled to take place on January 24, has been postponed, organisers announced on Thursday.
The Hong Kong Amateur Athletic Association said public health has been their top consideration and with the pandemic situation still not yet stable, they have decided to push back the annual showpiece without giving a specific date.
“We are monitoring the pandemic situation closely and are now working with relevant departments to fix another date for the possibility of staging the event,” a statement said.
It is believed the organisers are trying to find a date between late March, on completion of the annual Flower Shower at Victoria Park, where the finish of the event takes place, to April. A meeting between the association and the Transport Department was held early this week for the road permit but no definite date had been sorted.

Association chairman Kwan Kee said he was concerned the event’s gold label status might be at risk if they cannot stage the event for the second year in a row.