-
Advertisement
Coronavirus Hong Kong
SportHong Kong

Hong Kong pool ace Robbie Capito forced to scratch Europe trip on day of flight

  • The 20-year-old was about to travel to play in Bucharest Open and UK Open after launching his pro career with a bang earlier this year
  • But a compulsory Covid-19 test in Hong Kong, on his 12th day back home from the US, has put paid to his hopes

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Robbie Capito’s positive test for Covid-19 came as he prepared to fly to Europe for two tournaments. Photo: Facebook
Shirley Chui
Hong Kong pool player Robbie Capito has had to pull out of two tournaments in Europe at the eleventh hour, after learning on the day of his flight out of his home city that he had tested positive for Covid-19.
The 20-year-old had just completed his quarantine period after returning from the United States, and was on Wednesday set to travel to Romania for the Bucharest Open, which begins on Friday, then on to London for next week’s UK Open.
That was before the coronavirus intervened. As is compulsory for arrivals in Hong Kong, including Hongkongers, Capito took a PCR test on his 12th day back in the city, and it came back positive on the day he was supposed to fly out.
Advertisement

“Very sad about this – I was looking forward to the two tournaments and due to leave Hong Kong yesterday, and now I’m isolated at home for at least seven days,” Capito said on Thursday.

Robbie Capito celebrated Mother’s Day with his mum, Jean, days before testing positive. Photo: Facebook
Robbie Capito celebrated Mother’s Day with his mum, Jean, days before testing positive. Photo: Facebook

He had landed in Hong Kong on April 29 for a couple of weeks at home after competing in several events in the US, and on Sunday spent Mother’s Day in Hong Kong with his mother, Jean.

Advertisement

“Glad that my mum has had no symptoms thus far and that all of her tests have come back negative,” the Hong Kong-born Filipino said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x