-
Advertisement
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Martial ArtsMixed Martial Arts

UFC: Khabib Nurmagomedov says a US$100 million rematch with ‘idiot’ Conor McGregor is ‘not rational’

  • Lightweight champion Khabib says rumoured US$100 million Saudi bout money is better used for worthier causes
  • The Dagestani calls McGregor rematch ‘not rational’ and is only interested in title defence against Ferguson in April

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Khabib Nurmagomedov (right) takes Conor McGregor to the ground during his lightweight title win at UFC 229 in 2018. Photo: AP
Andrew McNicol

UFC’s lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov is clueless as to why the promotion looks to be shaping up for a rematch with Irish star Conor McGregor, with the latest rumour being a Saudi-influenced bout offering a whopping US$100 million in prize money.

The undefeated Russian (professional MMA record 28-0), who defends his belt against Tony Ferguson (25-3) at UFC 249 on April 19, defeated McGregor (21-4) via fourth-round rear-naked choke in what was the UFC’s biggest pay-per-view in 2018.

“Why do I need that kind of money? There are so many organisations for example, there’s not only football for the blind, there’s Sambo [Russian wrestling] and other sports. Let [the UFC] give it to them if they don’t know what to do with the money. But giving me US$100 million for me to beat up that idiot again? I don’t think that’s rational,” the 31-year-old Khabib said in an interview translated by RT.

UFC president Dana White has already stated that McGregor – who defeated Donald Cerrone via first-round TKO in January in his first bout since the Khabib loss – will fight the winner of the April title fight.
Advertisement
Much of the intrigue surrounds the pair’s out-of-cage interactions as both were reprimanded soon after their 2018 bout. McGregor for throwing a metal dolly at a UFC bus carrying Khabib and other fighters earlier in the year; Khabib for jumping out of the cage and attempting to land a flying kick at McGregor’s teammate post-fight.
McGregor is escorted from the cage area after losing to Khabib at UFC 229 in Las Vegas. Photo: AP
McGregor is escorted from the cage area after losing to Khabib at UFC 229 in Las Vegas. Photo: AP
Advertisement

“I’m surprised that people even question me about a rematch,” Khabib said. “It seems that people want to continue the festivities after that fight. Everyone saw what happened in the Octagon. I controlled the fight every step of the way. I did everything I wanted to him – he even gave up.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x