-
Advertisement
ONE Championship
SportMixed Martial Arts

‘Super’ Sage Northcutt recovering after nine-hour surgery to fix eight facial fractures sustained in One Championship loss

  • The 23-year-old American is recovering from his devastating first-round knock out loss to Cosmo Alexandre at the Singapore Indoor Stadium

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Sage Northcutt reveals his facial injuries suffered at last Friday’s One Championship in Singapore. Photo: Instagram
Unus Alladin

“Super” Sage Northcutt has taken to social media to reveal the extent of his injuries after his dramatic first-round loss to Brazilian veteran Cosmo Alexandre in Singapore’s One Championship last week. And it’s not pretty.

Northcutt (11-3) made his One Championship debut last Friday when he was knocked out by 37-year-old Alexandre (8-1) after just 29 seconds. The Texan hit the canvas face first after being caught by a huge punch at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Northcutt got up and was alert as he walked around the ring but it was only later that the damage inflicted by that punch became apparent.

Advertisement

The 23-year-old American told fans from his hospital bed in Singapore via social media that he had undergone nine hours of surgery for eight facial fractures sustained in the bout – his first career knockout loss.

Advertisement

“Fresh out of surgery … I had 8 fractures and a nine hour intense operation,” Northcutt told his fans on Instagram. “Feeling blessed for the amazing care and all the support from @onechampionship, my family/friends and fans! My Terminator face is not too Shabby. I’ll be back! Next post is catheter removal?? stay tuned-JK.”

Northcutt didn’t indicate when he would return but his posting was upbeat despite his horrendous facial injuries.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x