Advertisement
SportOther Sport

Defending champion Wild Oats XI forced out of Sydney to Hobart yacht race

Early leader Comanche also in trouble with rudder problems after hitting fierce winds

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Wild Oats XI early in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. It later pulled out of the race with a torn mainsail. Photos: AFP
Agence France-Presse

Eight-time line honours winner Wild Oats XI pulled out of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race on Saturday while American super maxi Comanche was attempting repairs after fierce winds hit off Australia’s east coast, officials said.

A 108-strong fleet set sail from Sydney Harbour earlier in the day, but by late evening 10 boats had retired, including one with a broken mast, the organising Cruising Yacht Club of Australia said.

The sail ‘tore in half when the yacht was hit by a 40-knot squall’
Wild Oats XI twitter feed

“Wild Oats XI has retired from the race after reporting a torn mainsail,” the club confirmed.

Advertisement

It said the Mark Richards-skippered crew was returning to Sydney but no further details were available.

Early reports indicated the sail “tore in half when the yacht was hit by a 40-knot squall”, the Wild Oats XI twitter feed stated.

READ MORE: SYDNEY TO HOBART: CHINESE SAILORS PUT TRAGEDY ASIDE AS THEY GET READY TO MAKE HISTORY IN BLUEWATER YACHT RACE

Organisers said the crew of Comanche, which had been leading the race after bolting out of Sydney Harbour, “will try to effect repairs to a rudder and continue racing”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x