image

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)

UFC 229: Conor McGregor refuses to press charges against post-fight attackers as fallout from incredible melee continues

Three men from Nurmagomedov’s camp are released without charge as Irishman refuses to take matters further

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 07 October, 2018, 2:56pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 07 October, 2018, 3:14pm

UFC president Dana White revealed that three men arrested in connection with attacks on Conor McGregor after the conclusion of his fractious UFC 229 title fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov were released when the Irishman refused to press charges against his attackers.

At the end of Nurmagomedov’s win over McGregor at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night, members of the Russian’s entourage entered the octagon and attacked the Irishman.

White revealed to Fox shortly after the incident that three men had been arrested by Nevada state police in relation to the incident.

But at his post-event media conference later on Saturday night, White said police had released the men after McGregor had opted not to press charges against them.

He also said that the Nevada State Athletic Commission had withheld Nurmagomedov’s US$2 million fight purse while the incredible post-fight melee is investigated further.

It was initially reported that two of the men who attacked McGregor were actually active fighters and White confirmed that neither of them would ever be allowed to fight in the UFC again following the incredible melee.

MMAFighting.com released a video in which one of the alleged attackers, Zubaira Tukhugov, said he wanted to fight McGregor in the future.

UFC 229: fireworks as Khabib Nurmagomedov submits Conor McGregor in round four of incredible Las Vegas fight

Earlier, defending champion Nurmagomedov completed an impressive win over McGregor, but the win was marred by the Russian’s reaction after the fight when he jumped out of the octagon to attack a member of McGregor’s training team, before members of the Russian’s entourage leapt into the octagon and assaulted the former champion.

A furious White didn’t hold back when condemning the actions of Nurmagomedov and his team.

“It’s bad for the brand, it’s bad for the sport, it’s bad for both fight camps,” White said.

“I don’t know how anyone can come out looking good from this.

“This is a sporting event, if you think you’re going to start a fight once that’s over it becomes a criminal investigation.

“I’m so disappointed. I’m one of the guys who has worked 18 years to get this sport where it is today.,” White added.

“The thing was trending to be number 1 or 2 of all time on PPV and this is how it ends?”