HKRU Premiership

Men’s premiership: Valley slip by Sandy Bay, Scottish stay on top and Tigers edge HKFC

  • Hong Kong Scottish trounce Kerry Hotel Kowloon in the first week of action after a break in the Hong Kong men’s rugby premiership
  • In a close match, the Borrelli Walsh USRC Tigers edge HKFC
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 01 December, 2018, 10:11pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 01 December, 2018, 10:47pm

Societe Generale Valley looked “fit and fresh” to edge Herbert Smith HKU Sandy Bay 32-27 as the Hong Kong men’s rugby premiership resumed after a five-week break.

The lay-off came as a result of the national side competing in a repechage tournament in France to decide the final spot for the 2019 Rugby World Cup – Canada securing that place.

Valley director of rugby Dean Herewini noted after the win over Sandy Bay that they played three of their eight national players – Nick Hewson, Matt Rosslee and Grant Kemp.

“It was definitely a bit interesting going into the game after such a break,” Herewini said. “But the guys seemed to be able to flip the switch pretty quickly.

Valley bolted out to an early lead after a seventh-minute score from Ryan Duplooy, with fullback Scott Davidson nailing the conversion. Jack Metters, playing at scrum half for Sandy Bay, then went on a personal rampage as he scored all of his side’s 14 first-half points.

Hong Kong Scottish showed no signs of sluggishness as they trounced Kerry Hotel Kowloon 45-13 in the other early game.

The win puts Scottish atop the premiership standings as they have notched five wins in six matches so far this season. Play of the game was Scottish scrum half James Christie sprinting 50 metres to give his side the lead after 17 minutes.

Digesting Hong Kong’s repechage with a dose of youthful wonder and Global Rapid Rugby intrigue

In the final match of the day, Borrelli Walsh USRC Tigers squeaked by the Hong Kong Football Club 16-14 in what turned out to be a kicking duel.

HKFC fly half Glyn Hughes and his counterpart, Liam Gallaher for the Tigers, swapped two successful penalty kicks in the only scoring of the first half.

National team member Jamie Hood, who was one of the players who went to France, broke the deadlock in the second half to edge the score to 11-6.

Hughes responded in the 73rd minute with his third penalty but the Tigers played spoiler as Gallaher slotted a penalty at the death for the 16-14 win.