Hong Kong Rugby Union

Kowloon top Sandy Bay; Scottish continue dominance and HKFC down Valley

  • Scottish start 2019 where they left off in 2018, beating the Tigers in convincing fashion while both Kowloon and HKFC etched out wins
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 12 January, 2019, 10:42pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 12 January, 2019, 10:56pm

Kerry Hotel Kowloon used a late set in the dying minutes and a drop kick from fullback Jack Hughes to secure a 23-22 win over Herbert Smith Freehills Sandy Bay as the Hong Kong men’s premiership action resumed on Saturday.

Players had to deal with smoggy skies during the first game back from the holiday break, which multiple coaches admitted impacted the games’ performances.

Kowloon coach Scott Sneddon said he was happy with the result as his team battles with Sandy Bay to avoid being cellar dwellers, although the game was definitely touch and go right up until the final seconds.

“I’m glad we were able to ground out a win with the drop goal, it showed a lot of character from the boys.”

Kowloon have dealt with a swathe of injuries and Sneddon said they were not back up to full strength yet, but definitely getting closer. He noted that national team player Jack Neville was likely out for the season.

“In December we really hit rock bottom when it came to injuries, I’ve never experienced anything like that, basically at the end of the year we did not even have a backline. But it is what it is, and I was happy that we were able to get Lady Luck on our side today.”

Men’s Premiership: Scottish set bar as league leaders; Valley take Kowloon to town

Hong Kong Rugby Union: Scottish atop as mid-season recap looks at squads heading into holiday break

Hong Kong Scottish picked up right where they left off in 2018.

The league leaders beat the USRC Tigers 31-14 and Scottish now sit atop the league standings with 39 points and seven clear of Hong Kong Football Club.

Scottish coach Craig Hammond said the pollution levels played a huge part in their game today.

“We said we needed a win today and that was a win, as simple as that really. To finish 31-14 with the bonus point was good, but the boys were a bit disappointed in that second half. You cannot fault the effort, both teams in that last 20 were out on their feet in the first game back after Christmas and with the air quality being what it was today.”

Flyhalf Gregor McNeish went four for four off the tee during the game.

In the other game, HKFC beat Societe Generale Valley 23-13.