English Premier League

Sergio Aguero leads the charge for Manchester City over Stoke

4-1 away victory continues new manager Pep Guardiola’s unbeaten start in the English Premier League; Liverpool rocked in 2-0 loss at promoted Burnley

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 21 August, 2016, 12:43am
UPDATED : Sunday, 21 August, 2016, 12:52am

Sergio Aguero and Nolito scored two goals each as Manchester City won 4-1 at Stoke City in the ­Premier League on Saturday to continue manager Pep Guar­diola’s 100 per cent start in English ­football.

Aguero struck twice in the first half to put City in control and ­although Bojan Krkic pulled one back for Stoke with a penalty, substitutes Kelechi Iheanacho and Nolito combined late on to secure the three points.

Guardiola warned there was plenty more to come from his side. “We have only had one month together – there is time to get better,” he said.

“In the first half, we played good and just missed the last pass. We arrived many times in the box with one against one.”

“We created a lot of counter-attacks in the second half – good situations – but the last pass was not good,” Guardiola added. “We have to try to finish the action.”

A Football Association directive before the season instructed referees to be stricter with ­infringements in the box and City benefited.

Aguero, who missed two penalties in City’s 5-0 Champions League play-off victory at Steaua Bucharest last Tuesday, opened the scoring from the spot in the 27th minute after Ryan Shawcross had impeded Nicolas Otamendi.

Meanwhile, Liverpool’s defensive shortcomings were exposed in a 2-0 loss at promoted Burnley, puncturing the optimism generated from the team’s opening-weekend win at Arsenal.

Sam Vokes put Burnley ahead with a shot from the edge of the area in the second minute, having been set up by Andre Gray after Liverpool right back Nathaniel Clyne gave the ball away.

Gray turned scorer in the 37th minute when he finished off a length-of-the-field break by Burnley sparked by Daniel Sturridge getting dispossessed, which allowed new signing Steven Defour to break forward.

Chelsea scored twice in the last 10 minutes to beat Watford 2-1.

Watford’s Etienne Capoue smashed a swerving shot past keeper Thibaut Courtois and into the top corner of the net after 55 minutes following a cross from the right by Adlene Guedioura. Chelsea equalised 10 minutes from time, substitute Michy Batshuayi following up to tap the ball home for his first goal for the club after Eden Hazard’s fierce shot was saved by Heurelho Gomes.

Substitute Cesc Fabregas then released Diego Costa with a sublime pass and the striker finished calmly three minutes from the end to seal victory for Antonio Conte’s team.

Shaun Maloney and Abel Hernandez struck late for Hull City as they won 2-0 at Swansea City.

Hull had never before won their two opening matches in a top-flight season but they followed up last weekend’s triumph over champions Leicester City in style.

Victor Wanyama grabbed a late goal, his first for the club, to earn Tottenham Hotspur a 1-0 victory over London rivals Crystal Palace.

Goals from Belgium forward Kevin Mirallas and midfielder Gareth Barry steered Everton to a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion after Gareth McAuley had given the hosts an early lead.