AFC Champions League

Shanghai SIPG progress to ensure two Chinese teams make the quarter-finals of the AFC Champions League

SIPG see off fellow Chinese Super League side Jiangsu 4-3 on aggregate

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 01 June, 2017, 9:53am
UPDATED : Thursday, 01 June, 2017, 9:53am

Shanghai SIPG saw off fellow Chinese Super League side Jiangsu Suning 4-3 on aggregate and Urawa Red Diamonds defeated South Korea’s Jeju United to complete the quarter-final line-up in the AFC Champions League on Wednesday.

SIPG join compatriots Guangzhou Evergrande, who secured their berth on Tuesday, as Urawa ensured there will also be two Japanese clubs in the last eight after Kawasaki Frontale had also advanced.

Shanghai beat Jiangsu 3-2 with Brazilian striker Elkeson instrumental in the victory for Andre Villas-Boas’ side.

The former Guangzhou striker, who won the Asian title with the southern Chinese club in 2013 and 2015, opened the scoring in the 34th minute before playing a key role in Yang Xiaotian’s own goal nine minutes later.

South Korean international Hong Jeong-ho pulled one back for Jiangsu 15 minutes from time and Wu Xi claimed his side’s second in stoppage-time, only for Hulk to score with a long-range effort at the other end seconds later.

Paulinho the hero as Guangzhou Evergrande squeeze past Kashima Antlers into last eight of AFC Champions League

“The way we played we deserved to qualify,” Villas-Boas said. “Today the weather was humid and hot, it was not an easy game but eventually we became one of the last eight.

“Elkeson has done well today. Due to the league rotation, sometimes he can’t play but today he has done a great job.”

Urawa needed extra-time to overturn a 2-0 first-leg deficit against Jeju United, with Shinzo Koroki and Tadanari Lee scoring to pull Mihailo Petrovic’s team level by half-time.

Why Kitchee chief Ken Ng Kin could end up eating his words after taunting Eastern over their Champions League struggles

The 2007 champions were unable to find a way past Jeju goalkeeper Kim Ho-jun over the following 45 minutes and the game went into extra-time, with the Koreans a man down following Cho Young-hyun’s sending-off in the 81st minute.

Ryota Moriwaki claimed Urawa’s third six minutes from the end of the second period of extra-time as the Japanese side booked their place in the last eight for the first time since 2008.

In the west of Asia, Tehran’s Persepolis progressed to the last eight for the first time since the competition was created in 2002 at the expense of Qatar’s Lekhwiya thanks to an own goal by former Swansea City defender Chico Flores that gave the Iranians a 1-0 aggregate win. Al Ahli Saudi saw off the challenge of namesakes Al Ahli from the United Arab Emirates with a 3-1 win in Dubai which sealed a 4-2 aggregate win for the club from Jeddah.