Tsun Dai delights 4,240 fans as Bury make winning start to campaign

The recently-turned 18-year-old comes on in the 60th minute as the Shakers earn three points in their opening game of the 2017-2018 campaign at Gigg Lane

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 06 August, 2017, 4:40pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 06 August, 2017, 11:30pm

Dai Wai-tsun’s career in the English League One got off to a flying start as the England-based Hong Kong starlet made it a winning debut in Bury’s 1-0 victory against Walsall.

“Tsun Dai” came on in the 60th minute to help his new club pick up their first points for the season. And the just turned 18-year-old teenager was pleasantly surprised he started for the Shakers after coming off the bench to the delight of the 4,240 fans at Gigg Lane.

“I didn’t expect to play for Bury today so I was a bit surprised when they called me up in the 60th minute,” said Dai, who replaced Nicky Ajose. “Overall, I’m delighted to have played for Bury,” said Dai, who impressed for the third-tier outfit when he made his debut against Championship outfit Sunderland last month.

Dai could again face the Black Cats in Bury’s next game on Thursday when they face the Championship side in the Carabao Cup.

Dai signed a new three-year contract with Bury in the summer having played for the Reading youth team before moving to the League One side.

The stadium erupted into applause when Dai came on the pitch and he wasn’t overawed by the occasion. He made an impressive debut, vowing after the game that he would “try his best” to hold down a regular place in Lee Clark’s outfit.

The Hong Kong teenager revealed he had been slightly injured during training on Friday when a teammate accidentally stomped on his leg and although his leg was a bit swollen, it had not affected his performance on Saturday.

Watch: Bury manager Lee Clark on the Walsall win

He also picked up a slight injury in his lower leg during the game after colliding with a teammate and had his leg wrapped as a precaution.

Hong Kong to step up pursuit of teen ace Dai Wai-tsun after midfielder signs three-year contract with England’s Bury

Supporters from Hong Kong and those based in England had gone to Gigg Lane to support Dai to which the teenager said: “Please continue to watch and support our team.”

Jermaine Beckford scored at the stroke of half-time in what turned out to be the only goal of the match. Bury could have won by a bigger margin having two penalties – one in each half – brilliantly saved by Walsall goalkeeper Mark Gillespie.

A future star? Hong Kong teenager Dai Wai-tsun looks set to make debut in English professional football after impressing in preseason friendly

Clark said after the game, he was happy Bury got off to a winning start to the campaign.

“I’m happy because you always want to start the season with a win. A clean sheet is a great start for us,” said Clark.

“I think defensively, we looked strong, we looked sound. We stopped them in the areas where we wanted to. We scored a great goal from a setpiece. We missed two penalties by two lads who probably don’t miss many or any in their career. The lads withstood the pressure thrown at us in the last ten minutes.”