Is Carlos Tevez’s Shanghai nightmare finally over? End looks nigh for Argentine in China as stuttering striker jets home again
Former Juventus and Manchester United striker left out of the squad for FA Cup final triumph in Shanghai
Carlos Tevez’s troubled spell in China looks to be over after flying home to Argentina – just as his side Shanghai Shenhua won the FA Cup.
The 33-year-old Argentine forward has had a miserable 11 months in China despite earning some of the highest wages in world football, an estimated €730,000 (HK$6.8 million) a week.
The former Manchester United, Manchester City and Juventus star has played only half the games and scored just four Chinese Super League (CSL) goals all season.
He was not involved in the FA Cup final first leg or Sunday’s second leg at rivals Shanghai SIPG, Shenhua winning the title on away goals despite going down 3-2 on the night.
Shenhua coach Wu Jingui said Tevez jetted home after he failed to make the squad for the second leg and his career in China is almost certainly over, although Wu would not be drawn on that.
“He wasn’t named in the squad so he made the decision to go back to Argentina. I understand why – a player of his high level,” said Wu.
“Tevez has made a great contribution, especially in the FA Cup, he’s not like the person that people say – he is hardworking in training, training twice a day, morning and afternoon.
“He did a great job and technically he’s a great player.”
Wu, who led Shenhua to FA Cup glory after taking over from Gus Poyet, previously labelled Tevez overweight and had said that he would not play the Argentine former international until he shaped up.
Chinese football fans have been less than impressed with Tevez too, labelling him “very homesick boy” – a nod to his penchant for flying back to Argentina at signs of trouble.
He has been linked with a return to his former club Boca Juniors.