image

Spanish La Liga

Barcelona transfer news: Malcom signs for €41 million fee as Roma consider legal action after agreeing deal with Bordeaux

Serie A side considering legal action having announced on Monday they agreed a transfer for Brazilian forward, subject to medical and personal terms

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 25 July, 2018, 3:36pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 25 July, 2018, 4:11pm

Barcelona have snatched Malcom from under Roma’s noses, swooping in to sign the Brazilian forward for an initial €41 million (US$47.89 million) after the Italian club had already agreed a deal with Roma.

The Serie A side are considering legal action having already announced on Monday they would be signing the 21-year-old, subject to a medical and personal terms.

But Malcom changed his mind after late interest from Spanish champions, who had reportedly seen their bid to sign Willian from Premier League side Chelsea stall.

“This is a unique feeling, a unique feeling,” Malcom said. “I’m delighted. It’s a dream I’ve had since childhood. I’m part of the best club in the world and I hope to give the fans a lot of joy.”

Malcom, who scored 23 goals in 96 games for Bordeaux after joining from Brazilian side Corinthians in January 2016, was set to undergo a medical on Wednesday before flying to the US to join Barcelona on their pre-season tour.

Roma had reached an initial agreement with Bordeaux, according to Roma sporting director Monchi, before submitting an improved offer after Barcelona entered the bidding.

The Best Fifa Football Awards 2018 men’s player nominees top 10: Cristiano Ronaldo, Kevin De Bruyne, Lionel Messi, Mohamed Salah

Bordeaux then met Malcom’s team again on Tuesday. “After that meeting, I was surprised to be told that the agents and Bordeaux wanted another improved offer, as Barcelona were still pushing for a deal,” Monchi said.

“I told them enough, because we did not want to enter an auction: we could not continue like that, and yesterday we had only raised our offer because of the willingness and desire of our president. So that was how everything ended.

“Now, within the club, we are looking at our options and seeing if we have a legal case. It is true that nothing was signed, but there are many messages with the agents and their president that are at least worth being assessed.”

Malcom has yet to earn a cap for his national side, but Barcelona’s statement said he “stands out due to his electrifying pace and his technique with the ball at his feet”.

“Aside from his speed, he also has great technical ability and links up well with his teammates, one of the main aspects of Barca’s football,” the statement added.

Malcom, whose transfer fee could rise by another 1 million in variables, is Ernesto Valverde’s third signing of the summer.

The Nou Camp side had already secured the services of Gremio midfielder Arthur, 21, for €31 million, and centre back Clement Lenglet from Sevilla for €35.9 million.