Tsonga withdraws from Montreal ATP event
World number eight Jo-Wilfried Tsonga of France has withdrawn from next week’s ATP Rogers Cup, organisers said Wednesday, due to a left knee injury that forced him out at Wimbledon.
Tsonga, a Wimbledon semi-finalist last year, retired from his second-round match June 26 at Wimbledon against Latvia’s Ernests Gulbis because of the injury and has not played a match since.
“I am sorry that I won’t be able to play in Montreal,” Tsonga said in a statement. “I need to continue to rehab my knee that I injured at Wimbledon. I hope to be ready for the US Open at the end of August.”
Tsonga, who reached the 2011 Montreal semi-finals before losing to eventual winner Novak Djokovic, also withdrew from this week’s ATP event in Washington due to the injury.