Canadian teenager Denis Shapovalov saved four match points en route to a three-set victory over Rogerio Dutra Silva on Tuesday in the first round of the ATP Montreal Masters. The 18-year-old trailed 6-4 in the second-set tiebreaker but saved all four match points he faced to force a third set. “I don’t remember all of them. Honestly, it’s a little bit of a blur,” Shapovalov said. “I remember one of them, he passed me. I hit a pretty tough volley. It was a pretty long point there. On one of them, I remember I was pretty far back. I went for a backhand down the line, which was pretty good. I wasn’t holding back. “I just told myself, he’s got to win it from me, I’m not going to give it to him. I think I did a good job to stay tough out there.” . @denis_shapo takes it 46 76 64 against Brazilian Dutra Silva #CoupeRogers pic.twitter.com/sTBjE733fU — Coupe Rogers (@CoupeRogers) August 8, 2017 <!--//--><![CDATA[// ><!--\n\n\n//--><!]]> Shapovalov broke Brazil’s Dutra Silva in the seventh game of the third and went on to close out a 4-6, 7-6 (10-8), 6-4 victory. “It’s matches like this I live for and that I play for,” said Shapovalov, who earned a second-round meeting with former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina. With Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer taking a day off, Shapovalov was one of a wealth of young talents to shine on Tuesday. Roger Federer claims record eighth Wimbledon crown after victory over Marin Cilic South Korean 21-year-old Chung Hyeon withstood 16 aces to beat 2014 semi-finalist Feliciano Lopez 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3). He next faces ninth-seeded Belgian David Goffin, a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 winner over Japan’s Yuichi Sugita. Croatian 20-year-old Borna Coric breezed past Russian lucky loser Mikhail Youzhny 6-2, 6-4 to set up a second-round meeting with top-seeded Nadal. Coric has won two of three prior encounters with the Spanish great, who won a 10th French Open title this year and can regain the world number one ranking with a run to the semi-finals this week. I am sorry I have to apologize all my Montreal fans.I could't play,because of my rib disfunction I need to get well to go to office soon!! — Tomáš Berdych (@tomasberdych) August 8, 2017 <!--//--><![CDATA[// ><!--\n\n\n//--><!]]> American Ernesto Escobedo, 21 years old and ranked 85th in the world, got his chance as a lucky loser when 10th-seeded Czech Tomas Berdych withdrew with a rib injury. Escobedo stepped in and defeated Georgia’s Nikoloz Basilashvili 7-6 (7-4), 6-4. Berdych, a semi-finalist at Los Cabos in Mexico last week, tweeted his regret at having to withdraw. “I am sorry I have to apologise [to] all my Montreal fans,” said Berdych, who had played in 12 straight Canadian Masters. Novak Djokovic to miss US Open as elbow injury ends his season “I couldn’t play, because of my rib disfunction I need to get well to go to office soon!!” In other first-round action, American Sam Querrey defeated Vincent Millot for the second time in as many weeks, peppering the French qualifier with 18 aces in a 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 win. American Jack Sock, seeded 15th, also advanced, downing France’s Pierre-Hugues Herbert 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.