Advertisement
TechEnterprises

Hong Kong regulator says city should wait for 5G standards

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Henry Wong, the head of strategic wireless technology and core networks at HKT, said last month that the government’s ‘zero new spectrum’ policy was unacceptable since other regulators have already made available fresh spectrum for 5G services. Photo: Xiaomei Chen
Viola Zhou

Hong Kong’s telecommunications industry regulator says the city should wait for the major economies to set the standards for 5G and its pace of development, despite increased criticism of the government’s plan not to release new spectrum over the next three years.

“Compared to the UK and US, Hong Kong is a small market,” Eliza Lee Man-ching, the director-general of communications told a media briefing on Thursday.

“It is impossible for us to allocate spectrum without international standards. We don’t have the conditions to get ahead of others.”

Advertisement

Her comments followed telecommunications giant HKT’s release of a fourth industry paper on Wednesday that put a spotlight on Hong Kong being left behind by other economies in preparing for 5G mobile services.

Hong Kong behind in 5G due to ‘short-sighted’ spectrum policies, says HKT
Advertisement

The Communications Authority has reiterated that it will not allocate new radio frequencies for 5G before a global consensus on the next-generation mobile technology’s standards is reached in 2019.

Lee said the government will also wait until standard 5G telecommunications equipment and smartphones become available in the market.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x