
Huawei shuts down less popular office app Link Now as it scales back noncore businesses in fight for survival
- Huawei’s Zoom-like Link Now platform, launched mid-pandemic, stopped new user registrations on October 16 and will end service on December 16
- The tech giant is pulling back months after warning that it would be making cuts to noncore businesses as it seeks to survive US sanctions
Huawei announced that as of October 16 Link Now is no longer accepting new user registrations “due to a product strategy adjustment”, according to a notice on the platform’s website. Service will end for all users on December 16.
Link Now launched in the summer of 2020, when widespread lockdowns and work-from-home arrangements led to a surge in demand for cloud services facilitating remote work and schooling. Similar to Zoom or Google Meet, Huawei’s tool was designed primarily to host online meetings and classes with up to 300 participants and 50 concurrent users of the video and audio functions, according to the website.

Unlike many similar tools, though, Link Now was completely free, never maturing to the point of charging for an enterprise tier.
Huawei did not immediately respond to a request for comment about Link Now’s closure.
Huawei gets enterprise and carrier operations back on track with new leaders
Alibaba’s DingTalk said its user numbers surpassed 500 million last October, while the number of institutions using the service reached 19 million. Alibaba owns the South China Morning Post.
Huawei said last year that WeLink added hundreds of thousands of enterprise clients and over 1 million daily active users during the pandemic. However, it still lags far behind its two biggest rivals. DingTalk and WeCom are the first and second biggest remote work tools in the country, respectively, according to market data firm Quest Mobile, followed by Tencent Meeting and Feishu.

