-
Advertisement
The Philippines
This Week in AsiaPeople

Philippine prisons chief suspended, listed as ‘person of interest’ following murder of radio host

  • Bureau of Corrections director Gerald Bantag suspended for 60 days to ensure ‘fair, impartial investigation’, but he says it’s because ‘I have stepped on too many toes’
  • Confessed gunman reveals that the order to kill Percival Mabasa, who had criticised high-profile figures, came from inside the National Penitentiary through a middleman

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
A protester holds a sign with an image of slain broadcast journalist Percy Mabasa, also known as Percy Lapid, during a rally in Quezon City, Metro Manila earlier this month. Photo: EPA-EFE
Raissa Roblesin Manila
The Philippines has suspended its prisons chief and listed him as a “person of interest” following the murder of a broadcaster who had criticised high-profile figures including two presidents, uniformed officials and most recently, Chinese online gaming operators.

Bureau of Corrections director Gerald Bantag, who is in charge of all jails nationwide, including the National Penitentiary or “Bilibid”, was named among 160 possible suspects for the death of radio journalist Percival Mabasa, 63, who was killed on October 3 while driving to work in Manila.

The brazen attack has gripped the nation due to its twists and turns, the suspected involvement of politicians and netizens comparing the case to HBO series On the Job: the Missing 8, about prisoners being released to carry out contract killings.

Mourners hold placards for slain journalist Percival Mabasa during his funeral in Metro Manila on October 9, 2022. Photo: AFP
Mourners hold placards for slain journalist Percival Mabasa during his funeral in Metro Manila on October 9, 2022. Photo: AFP

Philippine National Police chief General Rodolfo Azurin Jnr on Tuesday revealed Bantag as a “person of interest” in the case but declined to name the others.

Advertisement

President Ferdinand Marcos Jnr ordered Bantag to be suspended for 60 days to allow “a fair, impartial investigation on the matter so that all doubts will be put to rest”, according to justice secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla.

However, Bantag on Tuesday said he was suspended “because I have stepped on too many toes [including] drug lords. They would all celebrate this”.

Joel Estorial (centre), the alleged gunman in the killing of Philippine journalist Percival Mabasa, is presented to the media on October 18, 2022. Photo: AFP
Joel Estorial (centre), the alleged gunman in the killing of Philippine journalist Percival Mabasa, is presented to the media on October 18, 2022. Photo: AFP

Police had on October 18 presented to the media confessed gunman Joel Estorial, who revealed that “the contract to kill came from inside Bilibid through a middleman”. He decided to surrender because “my conscience was stricken” and asked for forgiveness from the Mabasa family.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x